FW: TZ Labels for Australia Eastern Zone

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Tue Nov 10 20:17:13 UTC 2009

Edwin Groothuis <edwin <at> mavetju.org> writes:

> Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] <olsona <at> dc37a.nci.nih.gov> writes:
>
> > (While the AEST/EST controversy is old, the URL in RG's electronic mail is
> > new.)
> > Australian Eastern Daylight-savings Time (UTC +11).  The abbreviations for
> > these zones are AEST and
> > AEDT, respectively.  Australian timezones are explained here:
> >
> > http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-country/time
>
> The question of course now is (besides the "when when when!?!??!?!" from the
> Australian sysadmin community), what more information or confirmation is
> required to get this into the timezone data?
>
> Edwin

After Oscars replies, I have asked the webmaster/inquiry people for
feedback on it:

---------- 8< ------------

At http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-country/time, you
specify the names of the Australian timezones are AEST, ACST and AWST.

Because of my profession, that is something I can only applaud.

A couple of futher questions on it:

- Has there been any legislation passed on this or are there any other
references I can find on it?

- The NSW Standard Time Act of 1987 (with all its amendments) talks about a
different timezone for Lord Howe Island (UTC+10:30). This one not mentioned
in your overview.

- Lawlink (last update: 12 October 2009) still talks about EST, not AEST.
Is that just not yet updated?

Thank you for any answers and any references you can give me,

Edwin

I will let you know if I hear something.

Edwin