Xinjiang

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Wed Nov 18 16:02:18 UTC 2009

-On [20091118 16:41], Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] (olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov) wrote:
>Kashgar and Urumqi are indeed both cities in the same neck of the woods, and they both now operate on the same time.
>In the past, though, they used different times so they get separate entries in the time zone database.
>
>-On [20091118 16:11], Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] (olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov) wrote:
>>1. What's the English translation of the Han name of the city with the largest Han population in Asia/Urumqi?
>>2. What's the English translation of the Han name of the city with the largest Han population in Asia/Kashgar?
>>3. What's the English translation of the Uyghur name of the city with the largest Uyghur population in Asia/Urumqi?
>>4. What's the English translation of the Uyghur name of the city with the largest Uyghur population in Asia/Urumqi?

Right, but then I am still confused, because the questions make, to me at
least, little sense when asked like this. Maybe it is just me of course. So
my apologies if I am not understanding correctly.
Because if you ask "the name of the city with ... in Asia/Urumqi" it
basically asks for a city in a city.

Urumqi is, according to the census data I looked at, the largest city for both
Han and Uyghur populations in the Xinjiang Uyghur AR.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Trying to fool myself with Dreams that never come true...