user-friendly time zone list

Douglass Davis ddavis at northcarolina.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:38:20 UTC 2010

Hello All,

I am attempting to find a user-friendly list of time zones for users to
select their current time zone.  It would have common names that
timezones are referred to, such as Eastern Time (US and Canada), and/or
city names. This list should map the text to a time zone name such as
"America/New_York." It would also remove multiple listings for what the
user thinks of as the same time zone. Does any one know of such a list?

If not, I would like to create one.

One thing that perhaps would help is if I could group many timezones by
if they are implemented exactly the same way in 2010. This would make it
easy to remove multiple listings for the "same" time zone.  Also, if
there are any time zones that are strictly there for historical
purposes, I would like to not have them in the list.

I will put this list in the public domain if any other application
developers want to use it.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions as far as where I could
find this list, or how I could create it.

Thanks.

--
Douglass Davis
Applications Developer