Time zone file naming scheme

Ice Karma 「氷宿業」 icekarma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:18:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:11, Andy Lipscomb <AndyLipscomb at decosimo.com>wrote:

> Because 2010aa would come before 2010z in alphabetical order.

I knew there was a reason, thank you.

> That has the flaw of conflicting with the ISO scheme for naming months. If
> we want to go that way, we should probably just go all the way and append a
> full date to each release.

Hm, and three digits would conflict with day of year naming, and four digits
with year naming, ... Ugh. What a morass.

So in a hypothetical future where we need more than 52 release identifiers,
the 53rd would be "zza", the 79th "zzza"? I don't know how generally the
rule is described in the relevant documents -- if it doesn't say what to do
beyond "zz", we could well end up in the same kind of trouble again...

--Ice Karma