Shouldn't Kemerovo oblast' use OMST/OMSST timezone abbreviation?

Alexander Krivenyshev worldtimezone at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 13:00:11 UTC 2010

Petr Machata <pmachata <at> redhat.com> writes:

> ... given the time offset it could be either that, or NOVT that tzdata
> currently uses.  But Wikipedia lists Kemerovo under Omsk Time:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemerovo_Oblast
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omsk_Time
> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Новокузнецк
>
> One one reference outside of obvious Wikipedia copies:
> http://www.vk-ugoll.ru/index.php?
option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=75&lang=en

> Though I was unable to find anything official.
>
> Petr Machata

Omsk used to have its own time zone- MSK+3,
Novosibirsk, Kemerovo and Krasnoyarsk used time zone- MSK+4 ...

In 1993- Novosibirsk moved to Omsk time zone:
Omsk and Novosibirsk- MSK+3 (UTC+6) , Kemerovo stay in Krasnoyarsk time zone-
MSK+4 (UTC+7).

In 2010- Kemerovo also moved to Omsk and Novosibirsk time zone- MSK+3(UTC+6).

Right now all 3 cities:  Omsk, Novosibirsk, Kemerovo use the same time zone
MSK+3 (UTC+6) (which could as listed as Omsk time zone, or Novosibirsk time
zone).
Krasnoyarsk use time zone MSK+4 (UTC+7).

Time zones in Russia are in transition (revision) as of now- It won't be
surprise that additional changes for many time zones in Russia will happened
this fall (during transition from Summer time to Standard time).

Current new Russia map (Kemerovo in the same time zone as Omsk, Novosibirsk-
green color):

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time-russia24.php

or site (in Russian):
http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_russia16.html