Time zone confusion and implementation hints

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Wed Jul 7 13:00:13 UTC 2010

David Patte said:
> Though its true that no one was wondering about daylight saving and zone
> offsets 10000 years ago, the dates we compute for 10000 years ago, give
> users a 'feel' for the time of an event that happened that long ago.
> Most people don't know the difference between apparent time and mean
> time, but saying that an event likely happend near 6PM EST June 1st
> 8000BC is something that most people can relate to.

Except that, that far back, leap seconds probably make a significant
difference as well.

That far back, the required correction (i.e. TAI - UT1) is about 86 hours
(that is, 3.5 days).

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.