Patches for zic.8 manpage

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 14 21:17:59 UTC 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:16 AM, Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] wrote:

> I'm forwarding this message from Uli, who is not on the time zone mailing list. Those of you who are on the list, please direct replies appropriately.
>
> The zic.8 file that's part of the original distribution at ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub doesn't contain ".Dl" lines.
> My best guess is that these are being introduced by a redistributor;

Yes, they are.

The redistributor, in this case, is called "The FreeBSD Project".  The time zone project man pages are written for the traditional UN*X -man macro package, so that they'll work on any UN*X; BSD introduced its own man page, -mdoc.  If FreeBSD's zic(8) man page uses -mdoc, somebody in the FreeBSD project converted it to a -mdoc man page, and omitted the trailing quote in those .Dl lines.

This means it's the responsibility of the distributor, i.e. the FreeBSD people in this case, to fix this problem, as they're the ones who have introduced it.