About China time zones

Luther Ma ma.lude.xj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 05:38:57 UTC 2010

I think I understand now your reason for wanting dual time zones now,
thanks.

I think, though, that Jonathan Hassid has his the nail on the head as
far as Xinjiang time is concerned with his access to Guo's article,
that there is no single change or date from Xinjiang time to Beijing
time. It seems rather that different ministries and different
localities switched at different times. This process is continuing
with, for example, the Urumqi city busses giving their start and stop
times in Urumqi time as late as 2007 but not anymore.

There seem to be three general time periods. From '49 to the cultural
revolution, when Han Chinese were very much a minority and generally
more adoptive to Xinjiang ways, including Xinjiang Time. During the
cultural revolution there were different groups claiming to be in
charge and I believe it will be quite a mess to unravel if not
impossible. Then the 80's there was a return to normalcy which
included a return (or at least recognition) of pre-cultural revolution
standards.

If you still think dual time zone is necessary, perhaps you can choose
the most significant dates from Jonathan's report on Guo's article. I
don't know... Just thinking out loud.

-mld