Another China time zone question

Jonathan Hassid Jonathan.Hassid at uts.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 23:39:06 UTC 2010

Being a political scientist, I can't claim to know the difference between mean and apparent solar time, but one of the relevant portions in the article says:

 "... so the greatest probability is that the 'Beijing Time' they were then using [ie before 1954] is not Beijing mean time (北京地方平时) but actual Beijing solar time (北京地方的真太阳时)" (p3).

-Jonathan

On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:30 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Jonathan Hassid wrote:
>>
>> There is a longish discussion about whether Beijing time means local
>> solar time or based on a GMT offset, and Guo argues that between 27 Sep
>> 1949 and 1954 (date unspecified), "Beijing time" meant local Beijing
>> solar time (with an offset varying by time of year of course, but
>> generally between 46 and 56 minutes earlier than 120 degree latitude
>> time).
>
> That's surprising. It's easier to generate time signals based on mean
> solar time, not aparrent solar time.
>
> Tony.
> --
> f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
> HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,
> DECREASING 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER IN HUMBER AND THAMES. MODERATE OR
> ROUGH. RAIN THEN FAIR. GOOD.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.