About China time zones

Walter Korte Walter.Korte at tomtom.com
Fri Sep 24 03:13:50 UTC 2010

To the maintainers of the tz database,

We are using the TZ database in our navigation SW, and we have had
feedback from our users in China that the time zone city names included
do not make sense to local users. Neither Harbin, Shanghai nor Chungking
(this is a very strange spelling, it is spelled Chongqing in Pinyin) is
used in China to indicate a time zone. It would make most sense to
remove these 3 entries and replace them with a single Beijing entry in
the database.

As HongKong and Macao are special administrative regions (SAR) in China,
listing these makes sense.

For the cities listed that are located in Xinjiang (Kashgar and Urumqi),
these should not be listed as China only has one official time zone. But
in practice Xinjiang uses its own time zone so keeping these would be
better.

Best regards,

Walter Korte

TomTom Asia