zic and zoneinfo.zip

Ravindra rsahlot at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 11:47:33 UTC 2010

We use tzcode and tzdata in our app. We are adding support for 64-bit
platforms (Windows and Linux) in our app. I would like to know the right way
to generate zoneinfo.zip from tzdata2010l.tar.gz (using "zic -d" command). I
have following doubts:

1. Is it ok to use same zoneinfo.zip for 32-bit as well as 64-bit platform?
2. Do I need to build two zic (32-bit and 64-bit) binaries in order to
generate separate zoneinfo.zip files for 32-bit and 64-bit platforms?
3. If same zoneinfo.zip can be used for both the platforms, which zic should I
use to generate the zoneinfo.zip (32-bit zic or 64-bit zic)?

Could someone please clarify my doubts above?

Thanks in advance,
Ravindra