About China time zones

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 27 06:21:58 UTC 2010

On Sep 26, 2010, at 9:18 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

> At the back of your request I detect misunderstanding of what the tz
> database labels are supposed to be.  They are not supposed to be
> official names for anything, or to reflect common names for time zone
> regions.

...and there is no requirement that a user interface for selecting a time zone use the TZ database label as a name; the only UI that would require that is the "UN*X environment variable, as set (by running zic -l, by editing some environment-variable-setting script)", because the TZ environment variable is set to a database label.

A GUI for selecting a time zone can offer the user any names it wants for the choices.