Farewell for a new day will move from Cape Mulinuu to Cape Taputapu

Mark Sim-Smith mark.simsmith at airnz.co.nz
Tue Aug 2 20:07:45 UTC 2011

Tim Parenti <tim <at> timtimeonline.com> writes:

> I don't think it's quite been finalized yet, but
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13334229 seems to suggest that (Western) Samoa
will transition from Thursday 29 December 2011 23:59:59 UTC-11:00 to Saturday 31
December 2011 00:00:00 UTC+13:00.

>       Samoa will lose a day as it jumps straight from Thursday to
> Saturday. Any residents with a birthday on Friday 30 December will have
> to celebrate a day early, or a day late, as that date will not exist in
> their country.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33094:moving-to-&catid=64:sunday-reading&Itemid=82
also mentions that "the shift would probably take place on December 29."--Tim
ParentiOn Tue, May 10, 2011 at 17:19, Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] <olsona
<at> dc37a.nci.nih.gov> wrote:
> Does anyone know at what instant Samoa plans to make its 24-hour jump?
>                                 --ado

The law has apparently been passed:

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34103&Itemid=62

It appears that they will simply skip 30 Dec 2011 and move from the end of 29
Dec 2011 at UTC-11 to the beginning of 31 Dec 2011 UTC+13.  I'd try to be more
precise but I'd probably get it wrong, and time zone calculations always make my
head hurt :P.  I think Tim above has it correct.