[tz] What license IANA is intending to distribute the timezone database under, BSD or public domain

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Fri Dec 2 23:47:44 UTC 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 17:36, Fake name wrote:

> This question is intended for the people at IANA. I work for NetApp, and
> would like to know what license IANA is intending to distribute the
> timezone database under, BSD or public domain? BSD is referenced in some of
> the documentation, but in the past people were assuming this was in the
> public domain until the lawsuit occurred.

SQLite was released into the public domain, and it seems this caused all sorts legal confusion in certain companies and jurisdictions:

	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giAMt8Tj-84&t=28m30s

The current license is the public domain, so I'm not sure if it's possible to change it (IANAL). It was necessary to do this because tzdata et al was an official (?) function of a US Federal employee, and everything paid for by US taxpayers has to be given back to them.