[tz] Converting from individual cities/states/country names to Windows time zone names

Daniel White twinbee42 at skytopia.com
Mon Dec 5 07:21:52 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm creating a software calculator project, and I'd like my users to be able to
convert between time zones using what they're familiar with: country, or city/
state names.

So I need to convert from these places to the corresponding Windows time zone,
and have been looking for a database online to do so, without success.

What I have been able to find is a way to convert from TZID (Olsen) to Windows
timezone IDs using this URL:
http://unicode.org/repos/cldr-tmp/trunk/diff/supplemental/zone_tzid.html

So maybe there's a database which maps all the places of the world to TZID, and
then I would use a two-step process instead of one.

Any help would be much appreciated. When I say 'database', even just a HTML page
would do, and then I can extract the right info.