[tz] Converting from individual cities/states/country names to Windows time zone names

Daniel White twinbee42 at skytopia.com
Mon Dec 5 18:20:04 UTC 2011

Ian Abbott <abbotti <at> mev.co.uk> writes:

> On 2011/12/05 05:18 PM, Daniel White wrote:
> >> There is one at http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/ (by country,
> >> it's a lot of data).
> >
> > Certainly. I only want the most famous places, something closer to around
> > 100k-200k filesize at the most (as my calc is only around 300k itself). If
> > it means I have to filter yet another stage, then so be it, but then I
> > would need to hunt for a list of the '1000 most well known places' (or
> > similar) in the world.
>
> The 'cities15000.zip' is closer to what you want, but it's still more
> data than you wanted (1.2 megs compressed, 3.3 megs uncompressed).

Actually that may do the trick - thank you. The second last entry in each
line is the TZID too. If I take out all the other translated names and other
gunk, I think I may be able to squash it to 1/10th the size. For anyone else
who's interested, here is the key to the data too:

http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/readme.txt

If anyone knows of anything more suitable, let me know.