[tz] User time zones

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed Dec 7 20:57:08 UTC 2011

On Wed 2011-12-07T20:37:24 +0000, Zefram hath writ:
> Generally, I think your goal of being able to look up a geographical
> timezone based on the abbreviations it uses is a sensible one,
> but creating new names for the zones is not the way to go about it.
> The lookup should be a separate process, and should have explicit handling
> for abbreviations used by more than one zone.  The abbreviations just
> don't behave like a namespace for these zones, in addition to them
> actually naming something other than the geographical zone.

If I am not mistaken this is one of the issues under consideration by
the Timezone Technical Committee as they work out registry issues and
server protocols.
http://calconnect.org/tc-timezone.shtml

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855