[tz] Antarctica

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Thu Dec 8 19:59:33 UTC 2011

Steven Abner wrote:
>http://www.antarctica.gov.au/living-and-working/stations/time

Interesting page.

>which has Casey as 0 hours from AEST/AEDT.

No need to pivot around any Australian mainland timezone.  I have just
loaded the page at 2011-12-08 19:48 UT, and it says:

       Station/location         Current time      Hours behind AEST/AEDT
   Aurora Australis         06:48 AM, 09 Dec 2011           0
   Casey station            06:48 AM, 09 Dec 2011           0
   Davis station            12:48 AM, 09 Dec 2011           6
   Macquarie Island station 06:48 AM, 09 Dec 2011           0
   Mawson station           12:48 AM, 09 Dec 2011           6
   Wilkins Aerodrome        06:48 AM, 09 Dec 2011           0

Subtracting the current UT time from the "Current time" column implies
that Davis and Mawson are on UT+5h while the others are on UT+11h.
The Olson antarctica file has Casey on UT+8h, Davis on UT+7h, Mawson
on UT+5h, and Macquarie on UT+11h.  So we're agreeing for Mawson and
Macquarie, and disagreeing for Casey and Davis.

The web page refers to varying DST regimes.  Our file says that none of
the Australian bases observe DST.  So it's possible that the difference
is just DST rules that we don't know about.

-zefram