"Etc\GMT" positive and negative

EXIS.Diaz Lopez, Rodrigo EXIS.rdiaz at iberia.es
Tue Feb 1 17:24:01 UTC 2011

Hi:

I think I found a bug with the "Etc\GMT" zones.

If you use a "positive zone" like Etc\GMT+2 for calculate actual local time in this zone you obtain... local time for Etc\GMT-2 (¡a negative zone!). For instance, its' 5:00 PM (UTC/GMT), so in GMT+2 zone (Greece) the local time must be 7:00 PM. But, if you use TZ Database, you obtain... ¡3:00 PM!

And the opposite for "negative zones".

Is a bit funny. Please, check it.

I found a web page (http://www.gsp.com/support/virtual/admin/unix/tz/gmt/) that use tz database (I think) and shows this error.

Best regards.

P.S.: It is possible that the problem was with the "codes", because in the world there are "GMT+13" and "GMT+14" zones, and these zones do not exist in tz database. However, in tz database exists "GMT-13" and "GMT-14" zones, that not exist in the real world.
--
Rodrigo Díaz López
EXIS.rdiaz at iberia.es<mailto:EXIS.rdiaz at iberia.es>

IBERIA.com<http://www.iberia.com>