lat/lon to time offset database

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 21:43:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:33, Larry Ober <larry.ober at att.net> wrote:

> I don't really need the geo political information like country or city.
> However it seems like tz is structured continent/country/city/..

As others have said, you do need the geo-political information.  And even
that may not be sufficient.

There's a region in China where some people use Beijing time and others use
local time.  Search in the TZ mailing list archives for Xinjiang and
Urumqi.  One email renewing the discussion was dated May 2010.  The rest of
the discussion (under a different subject which I haven't located in my
archive, mainly for not looking hard enough) pre-dates that.

The upshot is though that even with a GPS database, you can't tell whether
the wielder of the GPS-equipped system would prefer Beijing or Xinjiang time
in that vicinity; it depends on who the wielder is.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org