lat/lon time offset database

Hjwoudenberg hjwoudenberg at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 00:23:00 UTC 2011

For time zones I use ISO 3166 country codes and state codes.
For some states I need a suffix like 'n'  or 'w'  or 's' or 'e' if the state has more than one time zone.
It also can use the IATA city code, the 3 letter code on your airline luggage.
It contains the time zone rules so each year it calculates the new dates for daylight.
The rules can be updated on demand, when used first time each year, over the Internet.
It also contains the ISO country name, state name and city name and airport name.
Hope fully the lat/lon for states and countries will someday be available even if they approximate coastlines.
These should be a suggestion for the Unicode

http://cldr.unicode.org/
CLDR Project
The Unicode CLDR provides key building blocks for software to support the world's languages, with the largest and most extensive standard repository of locale data available. This data is used by a wide spectrum of companies for their software internationalization and localization, adapting software to the conventions of different languages for such common software tasks as:
formatting of dates, times, and time zones,
formatting numbers and currency values
sorting text
choosing languages or countries by name
 http://cldr.unicode.org/index/processIntroductionThis document describes the Unicode CLDR Technical Committee, and its process for data collection, resolution, public feedback and release. The process is designed to be light-weight: in particular, the meetings are frequent, short, and informal. Most of the work is by email or phone, with a database recording requested changes in data.
When gathering data for a region and language, it is important to have multiple sources for that data to produce the most widely acceptable data. Initial versions of data were based on the best available sources, but CLDR data will be modified and improved, in successive versions, by more input from the contributors inside and outside of the Unicode Consortium.
It is important to note that CLDR is a Repository, not a Registration. That is, contributors should not expect that their contributions will simply be adopted into the repository; instead, it will be vetted against the best available information.

Herman J Woudenberg