lat/lon to time offset database

Julian Cable julian.cable at bbc.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 09:39:31 UTC 2011

Looks like you've got this resolved but I thought I'd add my experience.

Timezones are political, not geographical.

They change all the time, they are not static.

I manage the data feeds to our "how and when to listen" web site for the
BBC World Service.

We map from population centre to timezone name using Geonames and from
timezone name to offset using Olson.

Cheers

Julian