FW: "Etc\GMT" positive and negative

EXIS.Diaz Lopez, Rodrigo EXIS.rdiaz at iberia.es
Fri Feb 4 09:49:20 UTC 2011

Hi:

There is an international standard for representation of dates and times: ISO 8601 (see  http://dotat.at/tmp/ISO_8601-2004_E.pdf).

According to ISO 8601, "the representation of the difference (between local time and UTC) can be expressed in hours and minutes, or hours only. It shall be expressed as positive (i.e. with the leading plus sign [+]) if the local time is ahead of or equal to UTC... and as negative (i.e. with the leading minus sign [-]) if it is behind UTC."

And, also according to ISO 86001, ahead of UTC means east of Greenwich and behind UTC means west of Greenwich. For instance, standard offset for Geneva, Switzerland (one hour ahead of UTC) is +01 or +01:00 and standard offset for New York, USA (five hours behind UTC) is -05:00 or -05.

I know, according with this standard, all time zones names in America would be "negative"... but blame it on the International Organization for Standardization.

Best regards.
--
Rodrigo Díaz López