Macau

jrl jrl at terraatlas.com
Tue Feb 22 17:25:59 UTC 2011

Robert,

All this said Robert, your clarification is helpful, and I thank you for that.

Architecturally, my picture of a Zone (transition), as an individual element/object/entity for any given period of time will have a fixed beginning and ending.  The end is when the new transition starts or for lack of one, it ends here and now.

>From that point of view, "max" is appropriate because for that entity (one with a fixed beginning and ending), the process of determining the transition via a given date, will discard the old object for the new one, making the previous "max" valid but for a transition that is no longer valid.

Consider the picture as it would look in 1999, before the PRC transition, [for Macau].

--- as of Nov 1999 ---
Rule	Macau	1978	1980	-	Apr	Sun>=15	0:00	1:00	S
Rule	Macau	1978	max	-	Oct	Sun>=15	0:00	0	-
# Zone	NAME		GMTOFF	RULES	FORMAT	[UNTIL]
Zone	Asia/Macau	7:34:20 -	LMT	1912

The word "max" would be entirely appropriate.   By your current listing, when PRC became relevant, it was then necessary to remove the "max" and put in something else... say 1980.  I would argue to leave it as it would have been at that time.  The addition of the new transition would negate the effect of the "max" and there would be no need for a change at that time.

Regards,
Jamie