Update for Asia/Calcutta timezone

Nicholas Alphonso nichalp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:49:50 UTC 2011

I seek to update the name of the Asia/Calcutta timezone (+0530 UTC).

Why Calcutta was chosen in 1970 when Calcutta was India's most most
populated city.

Since then,

   - Calcutta has been renamed Kolkata (2001)
   - Mumbai (formerly Bombay) overtook Calcutta as India's most populous
   city (1991 census)

Note: Time in India is calculated from Mirzapur near the city of Allahabad.

I seek to change the name of the timezone to

   - Asia/Mumbai (based on the most populous city) OR
   - Asia/New Delhi (capital of India, second most populated, more centrally
   located)

Regards,
Nicholas