Update for Asia/Calcutta timezone

Nicholas Alphonso nichalp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 08:24:13 UTC 2011

>>And yes, capitals can change, good point.  I was thinking about the case
of a new zone that needs a name.  For that, I would >>start with the capital
if it's in the zone, otherwise the biggest or best known town.  Then, once
the name has been assigned, leave >>it alone.

Kolkatta/Calcutta used to be a major city in the past, but other cities in
India have overtaken it in significance. This trend has been observed for
three decades now. If I may be at liberty to use Google Fight to compare the
trends on Google, then by comparing Bombay/Calcutta & Mumbai/Kolkata, it
throws up a highly skewed ratio in favour of Bombay/Mumbai.

I'm not sure if there is a precedent before for changing names of a time
zone in such a fashion, but I make my request so that the timezone name
chosen is not archaic ie reflecting historical trends -- but rather
reflecting current and future realities that have been fairly stable over
several decades.

I think changing the timezone name to Asia/New Delhi would be more
representative of the country since India follows a single timezone.

Regards,
Nicholas