FW: TAI zone?

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Jul 1 12:39:53 UTC 2011

Robert Elz said:
> but upon further reflection, and after reading Guy's most recent message,
> I think that comment of mine was nonsense.
>
> And further, the initial request is also pretty meaningless, TAI is not
> (unlike UTC) a timezone, so TZ=TAI makes precisely no sense at all.

Sorry, that's not so.

> As best I understand it, TAI is just a count of seconds from its offset,
> and has no concept of years, months, or days, just seconds, and so attempting
> to use the localtime() set of functions on TAI data makes precisely no
> sense.

I'm afraid that's wrong. TAI *does* have a concept of years, months, days,
hours, and minutes. It makes perfect sense to say TZ=TAI and you'll get a
meaningful answer (which is currently 34 seconds ahead of TZ=UTC).

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.