[tz] Australian time zone abbreviations

Shaun Bouckaert shaun.bouckaert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 12:12:57 UTC 2011

On 6 November 2011 20:51, Eric Ulevik <eulevik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Shaun Bouckaert
> <shaun.bouckaert at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]> http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-country/time
> [snip]> I believe that the abbreviations used on the federal
> government> website should be used.
> Time zones in Australia are legislated by acts of state governments,
> not the federal government. The acts mostly refer to "summer time" and
> "standard time".
>
> Eg. South Australia:
> http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_act/dsa1971165/
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Ulevik

In the absence of any specific mention in the state legislation of an
appropriate abbreviation, and considering the timezones and their
abbreviations span multiple states, I see no reason why federal
government documentation on the matter shouldn't be recognised,
especially considering the only basis for the current system is a
couple of AltaVista searches and the opinion of Australian's on the
list at the time.

Shaun Bouckaert