New zone for DE, split from Europe/Berlin

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 11:56:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Arthur David Olson
<arthurdavidolson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The German exclave of Büsingen (http://www.buesingen.de/), surrounded by
>> the Swiss canton Schaffhausen,
>> did not start observing DST in 1980 as the rest of DE (West Germany at
>> that time) and DD (East Germany at that time) did.
>
> This means that Busingen was like Zurich in 1980 (since Switzerland started
> using DST in 1981 rather than 1980).
> From 1950 through 1979, and from 1981 to the present, Zurich and Berlin have
> been the same.
> Does anyone know whether Busingen started using DST in 1981 (when both
> Berlin and Zurich were using it)?

As reason for deviating from Berlin the news broadcast gave problems
due to other rules in Zurich, since local activity is highly involved
with Zurich zone.

If in 1981 Berlin and Zürich did the same, one could assume
Busingen/Buesingen did what these two zones did. Since Büsingen
belongs to Germany it would be linked to Berlin whenever possible, I
think.

> Does anyone know whether Busingen was like Berlin or was
> like Zurich (or, for that matter, was doing something else) before 1950?

Büsingen belongs to Konstanz District says
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BCsingen_am_Hochrhein

Since 1810 Konstanz District was part of Baden says
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Konstanz#Geschichte

In absence of other reports one could use the Baden data.

A pre-1970 zone Mannheim covering Baden was proposed by Alois Treindl at:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.time.tz/3951

I would rather call it State than Province.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden_(Land)

AFAIK a Land of Germany is called State in English.

Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany