[tz] temporary timezone database home ...

David Keegel djk at cyber.com.au
Fri Oct 7 07:02:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 11:47:54AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

> Some of you who receive this message may have been removed from the
> elsie version of the list recently, or altered your subscription details
>  - if that applies to you, use the iana.org message sent on the 1st of
> this month to all subscribers to their list for instructions on how to
> modify or delete your subscription.
>
> Don't send requests to me (or anyone else on the list) there's nothing I
> (or we) can do about it - and most certainly, do not send requests to the
> list itself asking to be removed.

Or look for a mail header like this in each message sent to the list :-
which points to two alternative ways to unsubscribe yourself (via www or email).

> All I know of the lawsuit is what jhawk's message indicated - eventually
> I assume we'll find out what trademark or patent that someone believes is
> being infringed (a little hard to believe either, but who knows...)

Julie C Molloy for Astrolabe Inc seems to be alleging that *copyright* is
being infringed.  I think this claim is based on copyright in the ACS Atlas
(by Shanks).

You can find a PDF scan of the Astrolabe complaint at:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/98231225/ACS-Atlas

There are stories and reactions at:
http://slashdot.org/story/11/10/06/1743226/
http://www.thedailyparker.com/CommentView,guid,c5f28bae-4b9c-41ea-b7b7-8891ad63c938.aspx#commentstart
http://blog.joda.org/2011/10/today-time-zone-database-was-closed.html

One of the slashdot story comments has a link to docstoc and another has
a text version of the first 10 points of Astrolabe's complaint (pirodude,
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2463504&cid=37628932)