[tz] temporary timezone database home ...

Peter Ilieve peter at aldie.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 09:59:31 UTC 2011

On 7 Oct 2011, at 09:53, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2011, at 1:24 AM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>
>> It's a copyright case. The claim is that the tz database copies Astrolabe's
>> books and database.
>
> Books?  Paul Eggert's comments state that Shanks' atlases were used as sources for some of the rules at some points in the database's history; whether that's "copying" I'll leave to a lawyer to answer.
>
> Database?  As far as I know, neither Paul nor any other contributor ever looked at any of the non-dead-tree databases from ACS or Astrolabe.

The jurisdiction section of Astrolabe's complaint only mentions copyright
for "computer software program(s) and/or data bases, and in the form of
electronic output and future electronic media from said programs".
It doesn't claim anything about books.

I'm no lawyer, but it doesn't look to me as though Astrolabe are in
any position to sue anyone about use of data from the printed books,
and it is the books that are cited in the tz files. It's all very
curious.

		Peter Ilieve		peter at aldie.co.uk