[tz] A history maintaining repository for tzdata

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 8 17:16:12 UTC 2011

On 10/08/11 01:06, Yann Droneaud wrote:
>> https://github.com/lyda/tzdata
>
> Why host the tzdata on a US based service,
> are you looking for trouble ?

Distributed version control systems are highly resilient against loss.
In the normal mode of operation, everyone who checks out the repository
gets a full copy of the history.  If the master is lost for whatever
reason, the community can designate any sufficiently recent copy as the
new master.

BTW, there are tools for synchronizing changes between mercurial and git
-- the maintainer can (for instance) use git as the master, but they, or
anyone else so motivated, can clone it into hg, and both copies have the
full change history.  And the reverse is also possible (master in hg,
slave in git).

Also, I'd hope that any repo that gets set up starts with something at
least as old as the ancestral post to mod.sources in (I think) 1986.

					- Bill