[tz] Elliot - I want to talk about the TZ project ASAP...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 13:51:02 UTC 2011

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>> To sidestep that liability there are a number of things we can do with
>> >  the Stakeholder Role suggested in B too - we should talk more about
>> >  this and who actually owns this data.
> Who owns it is one of the topics of the current litigation.

Not exactly ... who the information was copied from is the subject of the
litigation. The information itself is 'public domain' and nobody can deny that,
the current problem is a compilation of that material does have some protection
so it is a matter of the data being directly copied, or simply used as a
reference to verify the data with other sources. If the use of a source is cross
referenced with other sources, and the validity of conflicts are investigated,
then the data has not simply been cut and paste copied, and can't be so protected.

Going forward, there is no problem, but many of us have an interest in the past
history, and while the history is public domain, doing the work to collate that
information into a single source is what can be copyrighted. In this case there
is obviously no simple copying, since the information has been expanded and
modified to correct mistakes? As I understand it, the timezone data published in
the atlas has not actually been updated in later issues and so is no longer a
reliable source anyway?

Identifying verified sources of any of the data is important, and the mailing
list provides a lot of that material, which may include references to an
'Authoritative Body' who has created the information.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL