[tz] Robert Elz as TZ coordinator

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Oct 21 07:28:34 UTC 2011

    Date:        Fri, 21 Oct 2011 02:23:11 +0000
    From:        David Braverman <david at braverman.org>

  | I hate to throw a spanner in the works, and I do think KRE is right
  | for the job, but are we all certain he even wants this greatness
  | thrust upon him?

As I've said before, I'm willing, short term - my hope is that within
a relatively short period, we can convince ado to return to the role,
and then retire at a time of his own choice, if that is still his aim.

Until we know whether than can happen or not, I'd regard all arrangements
as temporary.

We should still however be continuing the (slow) process ado started back
in 2009 of finding a long term replacement.  That was intended to be needed
by sometime next year, and right now, I know of no reason to alter that
timeline.   Recent events have shown however, that it would also be a good
idea to have a backup, or deputy, co-ordinator standing by, so that there is
someone to take over, at short notice, if it is ever needed.  And also to
manage things if the co-ordinator is just absent (like on vacation).

We also need to decide just how much IETF involvement (of any) we actually
want with our work.   That an RFC was written doesn't need to mean anything
at all.   It is all very nice that they're willing to assist, and it certainly
was convenient that they had the list established before we needed it, but
that willingness places no obligation on us to accept.

Finally, of course, all of the data we collect is available to anyone, for
any use they care to make of it - including making updates, and
redistributing it, so if the IETF want to, they can do that, whatever
we decide.

kre