[tz] Sydney, Australia (and other places) DST indication (or lack thereof)

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 09:20:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 02:48,  <Willy at willylorenzo.com> wrote:
> The two websites returned "EDT", and Bing implies "EDT" with its "Eastern
> Daylight Time."  I thought I had a bug, but review of the tz database
> clearly states otherwise...it's "EST".  Google was the only one to get it
> right (according to the tz database, that is.)

Ah, the famous "Eastern Standard Time" (EST) vs "Eastern Summer Time"
(EST) thing?

> So I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is some unwritten accepted
> practice of referring to Australian daylight saving time as EDT in
> colloquial speech, even though that labeling doesn't actually exist.  Any
> thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

I wonder what the result would have been if you had used Australian
sources, rather than ones influenced by US usage which use "xST/xDT"
labels. (Not that I can think of any good one, but I will say that
Bing is a US company and Chaos Software, the company behind
worldtimeserver, is, too. That doesn't explain timeanddate, though.)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>