[tz] Sydney, Australia (and other places) DST indication (or lack thereof)

Willy at willylorenzo.com Willy at willylorenzo.com
Mon Oct 31 21:02:19 UTC 2011

I appreciate the info. Several of the links given in the Australasia file
are broken, which, of course, makes it impossible to review the
referenced source, but I can see that this is a muddled subject.

The only suggestion I would make is that if the "S" in EST is referring to
both "standard" and "summer", then the FORMAT should be EST/EST...and
maybe a "# (S)tandard/(S)ummer" comment added.  At the very least it
clearly indicates the decision that's been made for daylight saving time
representation.

As to what it should be...I'll leave that to the Australians (oh
wait...isn't that the problem to begin with?) ;)

On Mon Oct 31 12:55:06 2011 "Bill Tiede" <billt at chaossoftware.com> wrote:

> For WorldTimeServer.com at least, we used two government sources for our
time zone abbreviations for Australia:

http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-country/time

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/daysavtm.shtml

> There has been plenty of discussion in the past about how official these
abbreviations are or how widely accepted within Australia these are, so
keep in mind I'm not trying to reopen debate or anything, just responding
to the question about where we got the idea to call it what we have.