[tz] Preparing for next tzdata update ...

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Mon Oct 17 06:46:49 UTC 2011

Robert Elz <kre at munnari.OZ.AU> writes:

>     Date:        Fri, 14 Oct 2011 23:21:42 -0700
>     From:        Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>
>
>   | Did you have in mind winter (or standard) time starting at the end of
>   | October in the northern hemisphere?  Or summer time (not?) ending?
>
> As you guessed, I got it backwards - I originally intended to ask if the
> intent was to remain on (effectively) summer time, or to revert to the
> previous standard time, and just not resume summer time next year - but then
> I thought the question was moot as it was just summer time not turning
> on.

I think you got it right the first time around.

The heading reads: "Pridnestrovie cancelled the transition to Winter
Time".  The article goes on to describe the reasons for the
cancellation, and that the decree was signed on October 10 and will
enter into force seven days after it's published.  Whether that means
Oct 17 they don't write.

Moldova, they go on to explain, will enter Winter Time as usual, on the
last Sunday of October.  That's how Pridnestrovie has done it in the
past, too.

So my guess is that the zone will be like Chisinau, but without the DST
transition that was supposed to occur at the end of October.  As to the
abbreviation, I'll venture a guess that they are doing this to sync with
Ukraine, and that the abbreviation should correspondingly be EFT.
(Though I'm on the LST side of the debate.)

I'll attach a proposed patch (I didn't change the 1880 offset).

Hope this helps,
PM