Alabama timezone history

Jules Descartes descartes.jules at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 18:59:54 UTC 2011

I have started reviewing pre-1970 US timezone history.
The information is so complex that it is best approached state by state.
I have started alphabetically with Alabama, but will probably continue with
some mixture like
- most populous states first
- simplest states first

For Alabama history my first draft proposes ten zones. This is more detailed
than Shanks, wo distinguished seven areas.
It is only a first step. Newspaper archive research (sadly) reveals that
there are far more complex details involved in a
complete history, and many questions about extension of zones can probably
never be answered because there are not enough precise records.

I have made a map, together with the help of colleagues, and uploaded it to
wikimedia, as I am not sure whether image files
work in this mailing list. Certainly we save bandwidth, as in the old times.

License question: For now I have decided to place my work under the widest
possible Creative Commons. This differs from the Public Domain license only
in so far, as sources need to be quoted. Aside of that the use of the
information is free, also within commercial projects of any kind.

Please check and proof read the proposed zones. I am a bad typist.