A small contribution to California timezone history

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Thu Sep 8 19:24:31 UTC 2011

Calfornia, the US state with the highest population, seems to be one of
the most regular timezone history, well represented by zone
America/Los_Angeles.

One exception has however been brought to my attention, which I report
here, as a contribution to the completion of pre-1970 timezone history.

# Information published to the Public Domain.
# Palm Springs suffered under the shadow of Mt. San Jacinto and
# decided to go on DST from 1946 Nov 17 for 120 days,
# ending 1947 Mar 17.
# Source: Beaver Valley Times, 1946 Nov 8, and other newspapers.
#
# Palm Springs is at 116w33.
# Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]
Zone America/Palm_Springs -7:36:12 -    LMT     1883 Nov 18 12:23:48
                         -8:00   US      P%sT    1946 Nov 17 02:00
                         -7:00   -       PDT     1947 Mar 17 02:00
                         -8:00   CA      P%sT    1967
                         -8:00   US      P%sT