UTC as basis for time legislation

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Sep 26 10:29:25 UTC 2011

Tobias Conradi <tobias.conradi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also I don't understand why tzdata approximation is involved.

The approximation is not in tzdata it is in the definition of civil time,
which as Clive illustrated is often not clearly defined.

> I would assume that legal GMT in the UK in the year 2011 is exactly
> the same as UTC. I could not find a law for that.

No, the law here says legal time is GMT, but most official time signals
are UTC. There have been a few unsuccessful attempts to deal with the
mismatch between de jure and de facto UK time, e.g.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199798/ldhansrd/vo970611/text/70611-10.htm

Tony.
Shannon, Rockall, Malin: Southwest 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in Rockall and
Malin, backing south 5 to 7 later, perhaps gale 8 later. Moderate or rough.
Showers, rain later. Moderate or good, occasionally poor later.