UTC as basis for time legislation

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Sep 26 14:31:41 UTC 2011

Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:

> Though unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, the existence of the right/
> part of the database suggests that zoneinfo can accomodate without a code
> change, and that'll buy time to externalize the new needed knowledge into
> something like djb's /etc/leapsecs.dat, yes?

No, because the "right" TAI-based tables are incompatible with POSIX.
POSIX time is essentially civil time and if the basis of civil time
changes then POSIX will follow.

If GMT and UTC become separated so that we can no longer fudge the
definition of civil time, the disambiguation will have to be resolved
by the various civil authorities.

Tony.
Viking: West 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first, backing south 5 or 6. Rough
becoming moderate. Squally showers, rain later. Moderate or good.