[tz] Detecting a new release

Neil Masson NMASSON at uk.ibm.com
Fri Aug 3 09:58:37 UTC 2012

This might have been talked about recently, but I don't remember any
resolution.

I have a script which polls the IANA Website daily to detect if there has
been any update.  It parses the html to find the latest version and then
checks to see if the version has changed since the last time.  This
solution is fragile and could easily be broken if the layout of the
Website changes.

I don't see any way of detecting the version from the ftp or rsync sites
as the "real" filename which contains the version has been replaced with a
link tzdata-latest.tar.gz.

It would be better if a version file was added to the ftp and rsync sites
which contained the version identifier of the release.

Neil Masson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.