[tz] zoneinfo : ist : error

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Dec 21 07:29:44 UTC 2012

    Date:        Fri, 21 Dec 2012 00:23:03 -0500 (EST)
    From:        Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at wolfman.devio.us>

  | may i know the reason why asia/kolkata represents +0530 in india?
  | logically, technically and politically speaking, it's incorrect.

Since we know that India really is +0530, so that can't be what you're
objecting to, I will assume that you don't like the choice of Kolkata
as the name of the zone.

You can read the theory file for the explanation of how the names
are selected, but briefly, it is the city (or sometimes town) with the
biggest population to which the zone applies, at the time the zone name
is first selected (after that, the name might be changed to another
city, if it becomes, and is very likely to remain, significantly more
populous than the city initially selected).

If there's some city in India that has a larger population than Kolkata,
please tell us what it is, and give some reference so we can be
satisfied of the population counts (and growth estimates.)

Do note that political capitals are 100% irrelevant for this purpose.

kre