[tz] zoneinfo : ist : error

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:48:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Mayuresh Kathe
<mayuresh at wolfman.devio.us>wrote:

> if, what i've read is right, please note, delhi would be more apt because
> it fits the bill better than either mumbai or kolkata;
> 1. delhi is more populous than kolkata.
> 2. delhi is closer to +0530 than either mumbai or kolkata.
> 3. delhi has no name change problems like mumbai, kolkata, chennai, etc.
> 4. having delhi as the marker for india gives every indian a sense of
>    pride which is absent in the case of any other indian city.

Having lived in Delhi, this may just be a matter of time :-)  I have seen
calls for it to be renamed "Dilli".

When I was in Bombay for 5 years in the 80s, no expected the name to
change; I graduated from the "Indian Institute of Technology Bombay,
Bombay".  Now it is the "Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai".

Again, this is just an identifier, it has no intrinsic meaning.  My name is
"Sanjeev", but I do not think I am "immortal".  We will know better once
the end of the world deadline has passed.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane