[tz] Posix time zone question

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Wed Jan 11 21:38:09 UTC 2012

Great questions. Answering from memory as I'm away from my system, I think
posix/$TZ is the same as $TZ. I recall seeing it generate that way. On a
unix system you can likely look at the files under /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo
or thereabouts and see exactly. Rather than trying to find sample dates
that might reveal differences, try zdump -v (zdump is likely in /usr/sbin).

And notation like EST5EDT is the old format, prior to the zoneinfo
database, and says it's GMT+5, with no provision for summer time; some
vendors try to hardcode summer time rules into their version of libc, which
leaves them having to push an emergency code update when the rules get
changed.