[tz] Posix time zone question

Bill Seymour stdbill.h at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 22:13:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Donald MacQueen <dmacq at erols.com> wrote:

> 2) Where is the format of the tz source filesdescribed?

The format is explained on the man page for the zic compiler;
and there's a plain text version at zic.8.txt in the code subdirectory.

I once wrote a little paper, mostly for my own understanding,
that you can read at

    http://www.cstdbill.com/tzdb/tz-how-to.html

>  I am also interested in what the Link format is.

Do you mean in the source file?  If so, then it's

    Link real-name alias

Or do you mean the binaries?  If so, then AFAIK
it's just another copy of the file.  (From what I've
seen, it's not really a "link" in the Unix file system
sense.)

If you're interested in what the binaries look like,
check out:

    http://www.cstdbill.com/tzdb/tzfile-format.html

I've posted both of those links on this list before,
and nobody has corrected me, so I guess I won't
lead you too far astray. 8-)

--Bill