[tz] unofficial tz repository on github

Steffen Daode Nurpmeso sdaoden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:50:04 UTC 2012

Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

 |I've set up an unofficial repository containing the tz code and
 |data at <https://github.com/eggert/tz>.  This is supposed to
 |contain the history of changes to the tz code and data, back to
 |the first commit in 1984.  I plan to use it to publish further
 |proposed changes.  The official tz distributions will remain in
 |their current location, at <ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/>.

Thanks.  This will make automatic updates possible.

 |The tz code was formerly maintained as an SCCS repository, but
 |nowadays Git seems more appropriate.  Unfortunately no

But here i disagree.  SCCS is a POSIX tool that works pretty good,
especially if you do TZ=UTC before you use it.  And especially for
such a small project like this one, with only one (or two)
committers.  With nice uuencoded binary data :).  I like SCCS.

 |publicly-available SCCS-to-Git converter was up to the task of
 |migrating the tz repository; the two I tried mishandled old time
 |stamps and lost revisions!  So I wrote my own.  This task languished

Jörg Schilling includes a pretty good RCS->SCCS converter in his
SCCS distribution, if you use it in exactly the way he had in mind.
(I do use the older SUN/Heirloom one, only half the size and
pretty much self-containing, though.  *Much* easier to compile.)
I think going the other way should be a little bit easier due to
the POSIX standard -i and -l options to get(1)?

 [.]
 | * Switch from SCCS to git.
 |   https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/dccd5a16af62c52f2b49a2fe56270a710617cbbd
 |   This alters how version numbers are handled.

No more

  ?0%0[steffen at sherwood site]$ what /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
  /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
    zone.tab 8.43

 |Comments are welcome[.]

What a pity.  Cold comfort for change.