[tz] unofficial tz repository on github

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 20 03:21:32 UTC 2012

On 07/19/2012 01:11 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> But the IANA repository is git, too? Can you elaborate on why it's private?

The IANA repository is Git-based, yes.  It contains a bit
more information than what's in the unofficial public
repository, related to how stuff gets distributed and
published from IANA.  It also contains less information, as
it focuses on what gets published, and does not record every
individual change ever made to the database.

I am not as familiar with the internal details of the IANA
repository, and haven't investigated the possibilities of
publishing it.  For one thing we'd need to clarify the
copyright status of the stuff that's in it but not in the
unofficial public repository.

Eventually I hope that the functions of the two repositories
can merge, so that one is just a branch or a subset of the
other, or something like that.  This will take some doing,
though.

I'm using Github for the unofficial repository because IANA
is not currently set up to do public Git hosting.  This may
change, though that would also take some work, as there are
nontrivial security and scalability issues.