[tz] technical details for today's code and data release

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Sun Jul 22 23:36:04 UTC 2012

Derick Rethans <tz at derickrethans.nl> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, Paul Eggert wrote:
>
>> On 07/21/2012 02:31 AM, Kevin Lyda wrote:
>> > On the command line you can just do: git checkout tzcode1999a
>>
>> But that checks out both code and data, right?
>
> Hmm, not quite. As you have code and data in the same repository, the
> "checkout" will just set the state of your local repository to the
> commit that the tag refers too. You can have multiple tags for one
> commit very easily.

But it _does_ check out both code and data.  You order tzdataX, and get
tzdataX and whatever tzcode corresponds to it.

> If you want to avoid that, then code and data should live in a
> repository of themselves.

Yeah... conceptually, tzcode and tzdata are different projects that just
happen to have similar release schedule.  I guess one could actually
invoke some sort of git filter-branch magic to separate the two
sub-repositories that make up the current "tz" super-repository.  I'm
not sure it's worth the hassle though, for the project the size of
zoneinfo.  The whole setup is not that confusing after all.

But it seems to indicate that we should go with two-faceted tags
(tz_codeX_dataY), to make this clear.

Thanks,
PM