[tz] Idea for internationalized time point unique time zone abbreviations

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 00:50:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM, David Patte <dpatte at relativedata.com> wrote:
> Good idea, but no one has the right to impose a system like this on any
> country.
They would not be more imposed than the current abbreviations are.
E.g. FET, see the thread at
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2011-September/008846.html

or likely EAST (Chile), GALT (Ecuador), CT (Cuba) in Spanish-speaking
Latin America.

>Time zones and their names are decided at national, regional, and
> even local government levels, in some cases.

And abbreviations in some cases by Paul Eggert (proposer) and Arthur
David Olson (decider)
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2011-September/008838.html
""FET" used as abbreviation for Belarus, Ukraine, 	and western Russia
(thanks to Paul Eggert)"

And the first thread above shows several opposing users, Yury, Clive, Tobias.

> The tz database simply tries to
> capture current tz usage - not apply or impose a standard.
At least there is rule in the Theory file to use ISO 3166-1 under
certain conditions.

The idea that I did present is maybe a little bit extreme if applied
for all countries, but maybe abbreviations that have no local usage
could be revised inspired by the idea.

Or some people that fork can make use of the idea.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18

http://tobiasconradi.com/